Over the next few weeks I’m going to share some great tasty BBQ dishes for you to enjoy in the sun. The secret to any BBQ I think is to make sure all your prep. is done in advance, being able to pull a selection of marinated meats from the fridge along with a potato salad and a slaw means all you have to do is rustle up a mixed leaf salad, a basket of breads and you’re ready to grill.
This mojito chicken is one where an overnight marinade makes all the difference. The time spent in the marinade lets the chicken absorb all the flavours and that’s what you really need – cooking on a BBQ is hot, smoky and gives a great charred finish, so your flavours must be bold so as not to be lost in the cooking process.
The inspiration for this came from the Cuban classic drink of the same name using sugar, rum, mint and lime. All these ingredients work great in the tenderising, flavour imparting properties of a marinade, it wasn’t a big leap to take the essential components of the drink and use them to flavour the chicken. So, light up the barbie, mix a mojito and tuck in to this summer treat. Enjoy.
250ml fresh lime juice
200ml white rum
50g soft dark brown sugar
10g finely chopped fresh mint
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp sea salt flakes
4 chicken breasts, skin off, butterflied
2 limes halved
fresh mint for garnish
1. Whisk first 6 ingredients together in a nonreactive (plastic) bowl till combined.
2. Add butterflied chicken breasts making sure to cover all the meat. Refrigerate and marinade for at least a couple of hours, or preferably overnight.
3. Once BBQ is hot remove chicken and grill till cooked right through (72 degrees centigrade on a digital food probe).
4. Remove chicken and keep warm on cooler side of BBQ, grill limes flesh side down till charred.
5. Squeeze charred limes over chicken, garnish with some chopped mint and serve with slaw.